Saturday, June 13, 2009

150 Yokohama Port Festival

Waaay, back on the 2nd of this month, we visited a festival commemorating the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Yokohama Port.

What, you may ask, is the point of the picture above? Well, look closely at what that guy wearing the red shirt is carrying. Toilet paper! And, he wasn't alone. That boy in the red cap had some, as did almost everyone traversing through this area. I don't know why. Perhaps it was some Eco thing. I just found it funny.I'm surprised their stroller didn't fall over with all those rolls!
I love this picture. This little guy reminds me of Darth Vader, only way cuter! Fire fighters lined one of the roads in the area with their trucks. They come prepared with costumes for the kids to try on and get their picture taken in with the Yokohama Rangers. It must be a common thing, because this is the second festival I have been to where they have done it.

The Japanese Coast Guard was there as well dressing boys and girls up for photos. They were handing out little bags with gifts of pens and band-aids.
After the kids tried on the costumes, they were given a paper to take home and put together to make a rescue vehicle. After probably an hour of folding, gluing and cursing, below is the final product. Now don't touch it! Only kidding, I think by now it's been declared a total loss by the cardboard insurance agency. That Tomy firetruck on the left is the size of a Hotwheels car.
Thank goodness for the misters! It was a warm day.
Yokohama Bay Stars mascot. He is very animated and fun to watch!
This guy was being interviewed and signing autographs at the Blue Impulse booth, so I'm assuming he was one of the pilots.

In case you were wondering, this is the hand washing area between rows of porta-johns. Okay, maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is interesting :)




That's the Blue Impulse team in action. This video reminds me of the old Van Halen Blue Angels video. That's not all that reminds me of the US Navy Blue Angels!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin